[Pythonmac-SIG] PackMan engine version 0.4

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Sat Mar 13 18:55:51 EST 2004

On 29 Feb 2004, at 07:40, Ronald Oussoren wrote:

> Another way to fix this is introducing a new layer of indirection:
> have a file that maps the os description onto the real packman URL.
> This solution would also be useable for 3th-party package manager
> databases.

It's actually more than that: the type of installation also comes in
(as in apple-installed versus user-installed for Panther).

I'm not going to follow this suggestion for this release, but I'm
interested in looking into it for later.

> Having a size field in the database would be nice to determine if it
> is feaseable (sp?) to download a package.

Not for this release, because it would sort-of force me to maintain the
field:-) I'll do it for a next release, when there's a tool for the
maintainer side of PackMan too.

> Some things I ran into while hacking on a Cocoa version of
> PackageManager.app: The _description, and _maintainer fields of
> PimpDatabase do not have accessors. There also doesn't seem to be a
> documented way for getting the main URL of a database. And finally,
> there is no method to ask if a package is hidden.

Fixed.

> And a possible bug in pimp: PimpInstaller.prepareInstall returns the
> packages that will be installed in the right installation order (the
> order that installs all dependencies for a package before installing
> the package itself), but PimpInstaller.install seems to install them
> in the reverse order. I haven't fully investigated this, but one bug
> in my app went away when I reversed the order of the package list
> returned by prepareInstall before calling install.

Yep, that's a silly bug. Fixed.
Goldman