[Pythonmac-SIG] newbie; python quicktime and webcam access

2098 THOMAS EBERWEIN tommi at 2098.org
Mon Mar 15 15:07:03 EST 2004

Hi i'm a complete newbie to pyhton.

I'm basically at the moment searching after a new language to learn
which runs faster than the tools I'using now.

I want to program a fast Video Player and I'm looking for the right
language to use. I checked out a little python and got quite
interested (Pygame!). I just couldn't find any information on google
if there are any fast modules for video like there is pygame for
graphics on a Mac. I saw that it is possible to play video with
pygame but wasn't quite sure if it would be possible to adjust
playbackspeed, play video back and forth, grab each frame and apply
pixel effects etc.

Or is it possible to access quickTime functionality from python
directly. Or is the only possibility to access quickTime from Python
through something like PyObjC, which is a little too much for a
complete beginner to start with.

Best would be if it works crossplatform, but only mac would be already cool.

Then I would like to know if its possible to access webcams and maybe
even dv cameras (firewire) with python.

Many thanks in advance for any help,

Tommi