[Pythonmac-SIG] Boost Python on Panther

James Mastro jmastro at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 18 12:24:54 EST 2004

I'm having quite a time using Boost Python on Panther. Does anyone have
any experience with Boost Python that they could share with me? I'm
just trying to get the simple "hello world" example from
http://www.boost.org/libs/python/doc/tutorial/doc/
building_hello_world.html running.

One problem is that I really don't know where to put modules after
building. After Boost Python builds what it needs to build, I am left
with a "hello.so" and a "libboost_python.dylib". I put them right in
the Python framework now, in /System which is of course not the right
thing to do. In MacPython, Python does find something, but an "import
hello" results in:

ImportError: Failure linking new module:
../../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/
debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib: dyld:
/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PythonIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/PythonIDE
can't open library:
../../../../bin/boost/libs/python/build/libboost_python.dylib/darwin/
debug/shared-linkable-true/libboost_python.dylib  (No such file or
directory, errno = 2)

I'm not sure why it's looking for something in that path. Any ideas?

-jim