[Pythonmac-SIG] Help with MacPython

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Mar 19 15:33:44 EST 2004

On 19 Mar 2004, at 21:02, Nancy Burgess wrote:

> How do you install new modules into MacPython's
> Package Manager? Do I need to build python from source
> code or is there a way to expand the modules in
> MacPython as well?
>
> I am a beginning programmer. Thank you for your help.

I'm not 100% sure what you mean. Package Manager is a tool
that helps you install a number of selected packages for MacPython,
such as a numerical package, an imaging package, etc. You just run
Package Manager, select the packages you want and press "install"
and it should all be automatic.

On the other hand, you could be asking for how to create new packages
for inclusion in Package Manager's database, but that seems to be
somewhat
contradicted by your statement that you're a beginning programmer.
But to answer the question anyway: currently creating a database for
Package Manager, or adding to an existing database, is a lot of handwork
(but Bob Ippolito has a tool that helps somewhat). The best thing to do
is
to study the existing databases and the code for the pimp.py module,
which
is the engine underlying Package Manager.

But notice that all this will give you is a database for your own use,
and/or
anyone you advertise it to, there's nothing that will make things show
up in
the "official" database.

And if you mean something completely different: feel free to ask
again:-)
Goldman