[Pythonmac-SIG] Bob Ippolito's synopsis of Python(s) on OS X

Nick Bastin nbastin at opnet.com
Tue Mar 30 16:40:17 EST 2004

On Mar 30, 2004, at 4:29 PM, Tom Loredo wrote:

> This post is for a dual purpose:  first, to alert newcomers to
> MacPython that Bob Ippolito's PyCon2004 presentation is a great
> summary of the potentially confusing Python situation under OS X;
> and second, to publicly thank Bob for taking the time to put
> together so nice a presentation.  I've been using Python on the
> Mac for years, and I still learned a lot from his presentation.
>
> It's available online here:
>
> http://www.python.org/pycon/dc2004/papers/32/

I would just like to point out that slide 60 is *NOT* a representative
sample of wxPython on MacOS X.  Unless he got extremely unlucky, Bob
went out of his way to find an example that did not look good on MacOS
X.  It's ok to like your toolkit better than some other toolkit, but
don't make the others appear worse than they really are.  The wxPython
demo application isn't even on the whole a particularly good example
(unfortunately) since a few examples are poorly coded as far as layout
goes (I can make controls overlap with cocoa too), but if you go
through it, you'll get a much better idea of where wx works and doesn't
work.

--
Nick