[Pythonmac-SIG] Bob Ippolito's synopsis of Python(s) on OS X

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed Mar 31 15:40:43 EST 2004

On 31 Mar 2004, at 17:45, Kevin Ollivier wrote:
>> Yes, I did intentionally put wxPython, pyQt, and Tkinter in a bad
>> light, I wanted to make it absolutely clear that they are not quite
>> there yet.  I agree with Guido when he said that wxPython is the best
>> among certain constraints in his PyCon keynote, but I personally
>> would prefer and currently recommend to develop a separate Cocoa
>> front-end altogether for most applications because the cross-platform
>> GUI frameworks have significant bugs *AND* because you can and should
>> take advantage of platform-specific features such as WebKit,
>> AddressBook, etc. for many Mac applications.
>
> Well, although I agree with another poster that Bob's taking this
> approach would distance some people from even considering Mac
> development, my main purpose of writing this note is that we are
> quickly working to resolve many of these issues on the wxPython front.

I agree wholeheartedly. While Cocoa may be a much better solution for
mac-only developers the reality is that the majority of Python
programmers are not mac-only programmers. And given the fact that Mac
users already have the name of being a royal pain in the behind because
Macs are lightyears ahead of everything else we should be careful not
to reinforce that feeling, especially not when talking to a general
(i.e. not Mac-only) audience.

Moreover, I think that by emphasizing that wxPython (or any other
cross-platform solution) is pretty good  but not on par with Cocoa we
would hopefully get the wx folks to look at Cocoa more and pick up the
good points.
Goldman