[Pythonmac-SIG] Bob Ippolito's synopsis of Python(s) on OS X

Zachery Bir zbir at urbanape.com
Wed Mar 31 17:47:45 EST 2004

On Mar 31, 2004, at 5:31 PM, Nick Bastin wrote:

> Bashing cross-platform toolkits, as Bob did in his session, just
> damages the chance that applications will come to the mac at all.

Bull. It damages the chance that also ran, "Because it's easier than
thinking about it" apps will do well in the Mac market. Applications
that are ported to the Mac without taking into account the idioms of
the platform will stand out like old, weird uncle Willy, whose left eye
is just a shade off kilter, and gives everyone the impression that he
might just wet himself for fun at Thanksgiving dinner.

> I find it much more likely that an application will not be ported to
> the mac all than the GUI be rehosted on top of Cocoa, if you keep
> telling application developers that mac users will only accept the One
> True Way(tm) of Cocoa, which is just bunk.

All I'm saying is that new projects will prosper in the Mac market
insofar as they consider the idioms of the platform and don't just slap
a cross-platform UI on it at last moment. IFF the Mac market is
important to them at all, they'll seriously consider using a native
toolkit on top of abstracted data models.

Zac