[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Python-Help] _tkinter [getting Tkinter working on MacOS X 10.3]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Sun May 2 18:20:05 EDT 2004

On Sun, 2 May 2004 jf at ai.univ-paris8.fr wrote:

> >You need to use the Python PackageManager (which comes with MacPython)
> >to install tkinter.
>
> That's what I did. Hence, my puzzle... Can you help ?

Hi Jf,

[I am CCing this reply to the MacPython list, just in case it helps anyone
there]

It sounds like you installed the add-on 'PackageManager' at:

    http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/download.html

Your next step is to use the PackageManager to pull in the Tkinter
extension.  In your Applications directory, look for the MacPython-2.3
subdirectory, and execute the PackageManager application.

You should see the PackageManager "Python Install Manager" window open up,
with a list of packages displayed.  One of the packages that you should
see is '_tkinter-2.3-binary', and it should indicate that it's 'no', since
it hasn't been installed by default.

Click on the '_tkinter-2.3-binary' package, and press the Install button
on the bottom of the PackageManager window.

If you receive an error message that "Tck/Tk Aqua" has not been installed,
then you also need that package first.  Tck/Tk Aqua can be found here:

    http://www.maths.mq.edu.au/~steffen/tcltk/TclTkAqua/

Install the Tck/Tk Aqua package first, and then try the Python
PackageManager again.

If everything goes well, then the status of the '_tkinter-2.3-binary' page
should switch from 'no' to 'yes'.

There is still one messy issue to run Tkinter applications on MacOS 10.3:
such programs must be executed by using the 'pythonw' windows-aware
interpreter.  Otherwise, you will see strange errors of the form:

   SetFrontProcess failed,-606

See:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2002-August/006040.html

for details on this.  Yes, this is not so cleanly implemented; there needs
to be some work done to make this nicer.

Anyway, I hope this helps!