[Pythonmac-SIG] Debugging a MacPython Carbon module from CW9?

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Mon May 10 08:13:25 EDT 2004

On 8-mei-04, at 6:29, Jay Koutavas wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> The product I'm developing for requires I do some implementation using
> MacPython 2.2.3 running on Carbon (it's got the GUSI2-for-Carbon
> package). (Not on 2.3 because the customer's extensive crossplatform
> python code base is 2.2 dependent) (and not native OS X Python cuz it
> has to run on Mac OS 9 too.)
>
> The client's application embeds python via PythonCoreCarbon and
> through various .py files imports a few dozen modules of their
> devising, some are C++-based shared libraries. There's a bug in one of
> these shared libraries, and for the life of me, I'm not getting my
> breakpoint to stick in the shared library so I can have a look. I've
> added the shared library to 'Other Executables' in the main app's
> settings, which works great for debugging the PythonCoreCarbon shared
> library, but doesn't do much of anything for debugging module shared
> libs. Of course I have the module's shared library project file open
> at launch/debug time. But alas, no joy.

What I used to do (but this was a couple of CodeWarriors ago) was
setting the "hosting application" (or some such term, I don't have CW
on this machine so can't check) for the dynamic module to Python. Then,
when you press the run button (in the debugger for the dynamic module)
it would start python and sit waiting for the module to be loaded.
Goldman