[Pythonmac-SIG] Optional BSD package is required for (useable) Python?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue May 11 16:38:33 EDT 2004

On May 11, 2004, at 4:26 PM, Nicholas Riley wrote:

> On Tue, May 11, 2004 at 04:18:31PM -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:

>>> Also, Python is used to generate fax cover sheets in Panther.  Does
>>> the built-in fax service not work without the BSD layer installed,
>>> either?
>>
>> Look at the script, IIRC it calls Python from inside the framework.
>> I'm sure PDF workflows can be done the same way.
>
> I'm not on OS X now or I would have...

Actually, I don't remember correctly.  It uses /usr/bin/python.  I had
remembered it used an explicit path to something (not the canonical
/usr/bin/env), but the actual path I remembered wasn't correct :)

>> I really don't think it's a big deal to simply tell the naive users
>> who
>> go out of their way to deselect the BSD layer that they screwed up and
>> now they have to install it if they want to use your software.  It's
>> not that hard to determine the presence of the BSD layer.
>
> So why can't packaged apps use the bundle Python too?  From some of
> the other emails I got the idea that Python was unusable without the
> BSD layer installed,

They can, at least in theory, do I have to mention my stub again?
bundlebuilder however requires it because of a technical detail that
has no real workaround unless we make it depend on a compiler or give
it a suitable precompiled stub.