[Pythonmac-SIG] Optional BSD package is required for (useable) Python?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue May 11 17:04:57 EDT 2004

On May 11, 2004, at 4:37 PM, Glenn Andreas wrote:

>>  > I really don't think it's a big deal to simply tell the naive
>> users who
>>>  go out of their way to deselect the BSD layer that they screwed up
>>> and
>>>  now they have to install it if they want to use your software.  It's
>>>  not that hard to determine the presence of the BSD layer.
>>
>> So why can't packaged apps use the bundle Python too?  From some of
>> the other emails I got the idea that Python was unusable without the
>> BSD layer installed,
>
> There is no "bundle Python" without the BSD layer (so I have no idea
> how the fax cover sheet or PDF workflow could work without it).
>
> lsbom MacOSX10.3.pkg/Contents/Archive.bom | grep python

That's not what you should be looking at.. you should be looking at the
pkg files on the installation CD.  You actually don't even get the
shared library, and you definitely don't get the headers unless you
install Xcode.  Strangely enough, the ONLY thing you get is the
CoreGraphics extension, but not Python.

> All that is installed with the base 10.3 is the Python.Framework
> directory structure, and the "current" headers/shared library.

Which would be enough if it was actually there.  If you include all
Python code that you depend on (which is the case of bundlebuilder
--semi-standalone, but it wouldn't work for other reasons).