[Pythonmac-SIG] Bundlebuilder vs. save as applet

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Wed May 19 04:53:42 EDT 2004

On 18-mei-04, at 14:41, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> I'm learning Python and am a bit confused by difference between
> bundlebuilder.py and save as applet from the PythonIDE. I've been able
> to save a few tools, such as wxGlade, as applets from the PythonIDE
> because I find clicking an application icon a bit easier to work with
> than finding the correct Python script all the time and launching that
> through PythonLauncher. I can even go into the applet app bundle, hack
> info.plist, and give it a custom icon. By contrast, whenever I try the
> bundlebuilder approach, I always seem to mess something up and the app
> won't launch.
>
> I know the problem is my own learning curve, as bundlebuilder seems
> more complex (and powerful) than save as applet. What I need to
> understand is what advantage bundlebuilder offers when save as applet
> seems to work very well for me (and very simply)? Thanks.

Under the hood "save as applet" uses the bundlebuilder module to do the
actual work. If it works for you: by all means, continue using it.

The only problem with the current setup is that it's an all-or-nothing
situation: "save as applet" is very convenient but gives you absolutely
no choices, even for really simple additions (an icon, whether the
resulting app should be standalone, etc). bundlebuilder gives you full
control, but very little convenience.

In a future release I'd like to add a GUI interface to bundlebuilder,
so you can gradually migrate from save as applet to bundlebuilder
without the current steep learning curve.
Goldman