[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 13, Issue 24

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Thu May 20 18:18:18 EDT 2004

On May 20, 2004, at 5:56 PM, Daniel Lord wrote:

> On May 20, 2004, at 9:11 AM, Kenneth McDonald
> <kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> I've more or less settled on Subversion for the actual source code
>> control system (but if people thought other things might be better
>> for Python, I'd be interested in hearing about it.)
>
> For what it is worth, I use CVS between a laptop and dual desktop.
> Free, arcane, terse, narrow-functioning, with lot's of redundant
> third-party enhancements and command-line only out-of-the-box.
> Everything a good development tool should be <grin>. But 'free' takes
> first prize for me.

Subversion does more or less everything you would want CVS to do (and
then some), but better.  You should take a look at it sometime, there's
very little learning curve for someone who knows CVS already.  Many of
the useful third-party tools work with (or have equivalents for)
Subversion, and it's more free (as in not GPL) than CVS is.