[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: Pythonmac-SIG Digest, Vol 13, Issue 24

Drew McCormack drewmccormack at mac.com
Fri May 21 12:58:24 EDT 2004

On May 21, 2004, at 12:18 AM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On May 20, 2004, at 5:56 PM, Daniel Lord wrote:
>

>> On May 20, 2004, at 9:11 AM, Kenneth McDonald
>> <kenneth.m.mcdonald at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>>
>>> I've more or less settled on Subversion for the actual source code
>>> control system (but if people thought other things might be better
>>> for Python, I'd be interested in hearing about it.)
>>
>> For what it is worth, I use CVS between a laptop and dual desktop.
>> Free, arcane, terse, narrow-functioning, with lot's of redundant
>> third-party enhancements and command-line only out-of-the-box.
>> Everything a good development tool should be <grin>. But 'free' takes
>> first prize for me.
>
> Subversion does more or less everything you would want CVS to do (and
> then some), but better.  You should take a look at it sometime,
> there's very little learning curve for someone who knows CVS already.
> Many of the useful third-party tools work with (or have equivalents
> for) Subversion, and it's more free (as in not GPL) than CVS is.
>
> -bob

I thought I would give subversion a try last week, but couldn't get it
to install properly. You have to install all manner of different
libraries, which is a bit of a barrier to adoption. After I installed
all of the packages supplied, I came up against a problem with the
libxml installed in the system, which was not a compatible version. I
got around it a little by setting the DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH, but for some
things it resorted to the system libxml and failed.

If anyone can tell me how to get it running under panther, I would be
much obliged. What would really be great is a single OS X installer for
subversion and all dependencies...

Drew