[Pythonmac-SIG] What's installed by default on _Panther_?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue May 25 00:36:26 EDT 2004

On May 25, 2004, at 12:22 AM, Glenn Andreas wrote:

> At 11:21 PM -0400 5/24/04, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> On May 24, 2004, at 10:58 PM, Glenn Andreas wrote:
>>
>>> So I just noticed that on a recently clean install of Jaguar (with
>>> the latest patches, incuding BSD "optional" install, but no
>>> developer tools installed), PyOXIDE wouldn't work correctly.  I
>>> eventually narrowed it down to the fact that I couldn't import objc.
>>>  I thought this was part of Python.framework by default, but
>>> apparently not.
>
> [excellent explanation snipped to attempt to cover embarasment]
>
> Next time I'll actually type what I mean, and not something else that
> I don't.
>
> So what's on _Panther_ (10.3)  by default?

Python 2.3.0
   - all of the extensions you would typically expect
       - except for readline and waste
   - with the addition of the closed-source CoreGraphics SWIG wrapper
from Apple

Waste is best obtained from the MacPython 2.3 additions from Jack's
official MacPython page, and readline can be easily acquired via
PackageManager or pimp (with or without the additions, respectively)

> (And any guesses as to what we'll see in Tiger in a month?)

Even if I knew, which I don't, it probably shouldn't be talked about
here (since anyone who gets to see it next month is under NDA).

In any case, I'm hoping that whatever Tiger's preview has is flexible,
because we still don't have the -undefined dynamic_lookup patches into
CVS HEAD, let alone the 2.3 tree.. I really really really really really
really really would like to have that stuff in 10.4 because
Fatal Python Error: Interpreter Not initialized (version mismatch?)