[Pythonmac-SIG] Update on PyQt/question re: EasyDialogs

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Nov 9 22:28:53 CET 2004

On Nov 9, 2004, at 15:51, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

> | Why can't you just create a normal pkg installer?  I can't imagine
> what
> | you would need to do to install this that would require anything
> above
> | and beyond the functionality of Installer.app.  I would certainly be
> | much less inclined to use your installer if it's some custom stuff,
> who
> | knows what it might do to my computer with authorization.  At least
> with
> | Installer I can look at any scripts it uses and the bill of materials
> | before I touch it.
> |

> Bob,
>
> The main reason is that I'm having a hard time accounting for every
> piece that gets installed with Installer. PyQt has a *lot* of moving
> parts. I've tried a couple of times, and I always seem to leave
> something out. I thought it might be simpler to let the packages
> themselves do the installation work. My script will do nothing more
> than
> copy the compiled Qt directories to the right places (that's easy to
> manage) and then run make install to put the compiled versions of PyQt
> and sip from the build directories (which will be part of the download)
> into the correct places. I think it's more likely that something might
> break if I put together an incomplete pkg installer.
>
> In fact, I got the idea to do this from your own previous build of
> PyQt--you precompiled the binaries and then advised people to run sudo
> make install once they downloaded the files. The only difference is, my
> version automates that process.
>
> Another problem with installer--or perhaps it's just a limitation in my
> own skills--is that I need to add $QTDIR to the path, and I don't see a
> place in the installer process to do this. As I understand it,
> installer
> scripts don't have full access to environmental variables. Please
> advise
> if I'm wrong on this.
>
> Would it be better just to do what you did--have folks run sudo make
> install manually? They can also add $QTDIR themselves. That's easy
> enough and would simplify things greatly.

Adding $QTDIR should only be necessary if you need to compile C/C++
software against Qt, it should mean nothing to PyQt.  There's no real
safe way to add something to the user's environment variables
automatically either..  I mean, I guess there's
~/.MacOSX/environment.plist .. but it's not terribly nice to do that
unless you really let the user know.

Just providing the build dir and allowing people to run sudo make
install and add $QTDIR themselves is a fine option for now.  Anyone who
should be playing with PyQt on the mac at this stage is surely capable
of that.