[Pythonmac-SIG] multiple pythons on one machine

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Sat Nov 13 14:44:07 CET 2004

On Nov 13, 2004, at 12:05 AM, Ted Leung wrote:

> Okay,
>
> I'm getting to the point where I think I'm going to end up with
> multiple Python's on my system (not including the chandler one):
>
> 1. Apple's
> 2. the one from fink -- i've been trying not to install this one
> because I wasn't sure about bad interactions

I'd recommend against using any Python from fink or darwinports from
experience, but if some other package needs it.. then just make sure
that /usr/bin comes before /sw/bin or /opt/local/bin in your path.

> 3. 2.4b2
>
> Right now I only have #1 installed.  Are there any issues I need to be
> aware of before I try and install 2 and 3 (I expect to have to build
> this one).   I'm also under the impression that 2.4b2 will build as a
> framework by default, so does that mean I should apply Bob's patch:
> <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2004-September/
> 011695.html> in order to not mess up the Apple Python?
>
> I assume that I can install distutils based packages into the various
> pythons by using the correct python to run setup.py

If you don't apply the patch, then installing #3 will DEFINITELY break
building extensions for #1.  Note that you also need to set the
"MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET" environment variable to "10.3" when using
this patch.  After applying the patch, you should probably rebuild all
of your third party extension modules just to be safe.

I have #1 and #3 coexisting peacefully on three machines (patch
applied).. one of the machines also has a darwinports python installed,
but /opt/local/bin comes late in the path.