[Pythonmac-SIG] move/rename files w resource forks

Mon Nov 15 18:49:28 CET 2004

Hi Brad, hi list,

>>ditto -rsrc

> Yes, that's great for copying, but not for move/rename. In this case, until
> I have implemented a better way, I'm using ditto as a very inefficient
> "move" by deleting files from one directory and using ditto -rsrc to copy
> to a different directory.

You could just use the 'mv' command or its python equivalent to move the resource fork: it's accessible transparently via 'filename/RSRC' throughout the whole Mac OS posix APIs. That means

	mv somefile newdirectory/
	test -d somefile/RSRC || mv somefile/RSRC newdirectory/

will do everything necessary on Mac OS X and just ignore the rest of the second line on other systems.

Didn't try with Python, but it should work fine.

Mark