[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems installing MacPython add-ons for 10.3

Christopher rasch crasch at openknowledge.org
Wed Nov 17 16:30:48 CET 2004

Hi,

I'm trying to install the IDE and the Package Manager on Mac OS X
10.3.5.

According to the MacPython on Mac OS X 10.3 page here:

http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/macpython-osx.html

Mac OS X 10.3.x already includes a MacPython 2.3 engine.  So "...the
only thing the MacPython distribution for 10.3 contains are the IDE,
the Package Manager and the waste module on which they depend. You can
get this distribution from the [16]download page."

I downloaded the MacPython 2.3 for Pather addons installer from  here:

http://ftp.cwi.nl/jack/python/mac/MacPython-Panther-2.3-2.dmg

I then installed it.  The installallation seemed to go okay.

However, when I clicked on the PackageManager icon, it appeared to
start to launch, then shut down immediately.  Same with the IDE.  As
you can see from the screenshot below, contrary to instructions above,
  the MacPython distribution does not appear to include the waste
module.

If I tried to run the PackageManager from the command line in the
following directory:

/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PackageManager.app/Contents/Resources

I got the following error:

chris:/Applications/MacPython-2.3/PackageManager.app/Contents/Resources
chris$ python PackageManager.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "PackageManager.py", line 35, in ?
     import W
   File
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/
IDE/W.py", line 7, in ?
     from Wtext import *
   File
"/System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/Mac/Tools/
IDE/Wtext.py", line 6, in ?
     import waste
ImportError: No module named waste

I then searched the pythonmac-SIG archives, for

site:mail.python.org waste

And found this email:

http://mail.python.org/pipermail/pythonmac-sig/2003-June/007958.html

Which gave the following instruction for installing waste:

get waste from http://www.merzwaren.com/bin/waste/waste-21b1.sit
unstuff waste-21b1.sit
mount the WASTE disk image ( waste-21b1-distribution.img )
sudo python2.3 setup.py install

I got to the point that the WASTE disk image was install.  However this
file (required for the last step):

http://undefined.org/python/waste_for_python2.3.tgz

No longer appears to be available at that site.

Ther merzwaren doesn't contain installation instructions for waste
either.  (At least that I could find).

So I'm a bit stuck.  Any ideas what I should try next?

Thanks for any help you may wish to provide.

Chris