[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems installing Python 2.3.4 over standard Apple Python installation

Zsolt.Putnoky at alcatel.fr Zsolt.Putnoky at alcatel.fr
Thu Nov 18 08:38:52 CET 2004

Hi All,

I have a project based on Zope3 which requires to have Python 2.3.4 on my
Mac (OS X 10.3.6). The machine has the
default Apple provided Python installed. I had tried several times but
never managed to get it work, and after reading all available information
on how to install Python on Mac, I am still not able to do it.

I issued the ./configure command (even tried with ./configure
--with-suffix=.exe --with-dyld). At the middle I had received
the following message (the one marked with ##)

checking locale.h presence... yes
checking for locale.h... yes
checking ncurses.h usability... no
checking ncurses.h presence... yes
configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: present but cannot be compiled
configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: check for missing prerequisite headers?
configure: WARNING: ncurses.h: proceeding with the preprocessor's result
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
configure: WARNING:     ## Report this to bug-autoconf at gnu.org. ##
configure: WARNING:     ## ------------------------------------ ##
checking for ncurses.h... yes
checking poll.h usability... no
checking poll.h presence... no
checking for poll.h... no
checking pthread.h usability... yes
configure: creating ./config.status
config.status: creating Makefile.pre
config.status: creating Modules/Setup.config
config.status: creating pyconfig.h
config.status: pyconfig.h is unchanged
creating Setup
creating Setup.local
creating Makefile

The ./configure ended with no special error message.

After issuing the make command, I had received the following message
(actually repeated several times)

cc1: warning: changing search order for system directory
"/usr/local/include"
cc1: warning:   as it has already been specified as a non-system directory

Then issued the "make clean", followed by "make" again .... and received

Objects/fileobject.c: In function `file_tell':
Objects/fileobject.c:668: warning: implicit declaration of function
`getc_unlocked'
Objects/fileobject.c: In function `get_line':
Objects/fileobject.c:1134: warning: implicit declaration of function
`flockfile'
Objects/fileobject.c:1169: warning: implicit declaration of function
`funlockfile'
/Users/zsoltputnoky/Temp/Python-2.3.4/Modules/expat/xmlparse.c:1719:
warning: `cdecl' attribute directive ignored
/Users/zsoltputnoky/Temp/Python-2.3.4/Modules/expat/xmlparse.c:1731:
warning: `cdecl' attribute directive ignored

I would really appreciate if someone can tell me what I did wrong or what
can be the problem.

Thanks alot,

Zsolt Putnoky