[Pythonmac-SIG] Python IDE 2.3.2 problems

Feat jf at ai.univ-paris8.fr
Thu Nov 18 15:24:33 CET 2004

Hi list!

~~~~~~~~~~
Background
~~~~~~~~~~

I need to use Python IDE (http://homepages.cwi.nl/~jack/macpython/) to teach programming fundamentals to beginners at the university of Paris 8, France.

When moving from Jaguar to Panther I downloaded the "MacPython 2.3 for Panther addons" from :

http://ftp.cwi.nl/jack/python/mac/MacPython-Panther-2.3-2.dmg

~~~~~~~~~~
Problems
~~~~~~~~~~

1. Even the simplest code won't work in the IDE if I don't check the "Run as __main__" option, else it wouldn't find the interpreter, displaying an alert: "can't find command line Python", although there's a "Python interactive" window that behaves as expected. How do I patch the program so it searches /usr/local/bin/ to find either the python interpreter -- or the pythonw interpreter, which I actually want to use?

2. When I need to run a program that should use the "Tkinter" module (I'm running Tickle 8.4.4) I can only briefly see the widgets I've created -- then the IDE, and my application as well, vanish, quit with no alert, no warning, no nothing... However, when I use the Python Launcher (v2.3 by Jack Jansen) to launch that very same program, everything works okay. What's wrong with my installation?

3. A quick search for Tkinter will yield:

Name    Where

_tkinter.so     /Library/Python/2.3/
_tkinter.so     /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/site-packages/

Tkinter.py      /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/
Tkinter.pyc     /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/
Tkinter.pyo     /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/

Tkinter.py      /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/
Tkinter.pyc     /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/
Tkinter.pyo     /System/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.3/lib/python2.3/lib-tk/

So obviously, migrating from Jaguar to Panther had the side effect of duplicating some files from my previous installation. How shall I clean that mess, what should I remove, and where do these files really belong?

I tried to install a fresh system (no Python IDE) on another partition and the Tkinter files only exist in the /System/Library/Frameworks/... path, but installing the IDE there doesn't make it work as expected either (and there's no "_tkinter.so" file any longer).

Can anybody, please, help me to solve problems 1, 2 and 3?

Thanks in advance.

PowerBook Titanium G4-7410 500 MHz - running 1O.3.6 in 512 MB RAM

--
Jym Feat
Paris FR 75018