[Pythonmac-SIG] Python IDE 2.3.2 problems

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Fri Nov 19 00:13:17 CET 2004

On 18-nov-04, at 22:28, Just van Rossum wrote:
>>> 2. When I need to run a program that should use the "Tkinter"
>>> module (I'm running Tickle 8.4.4) I can only briefly see the
>>> widgets I've created -- then the IDE, and my application as well,
>>> vanish, quit with no alert, no warning, no nothing... However, when
>>> I use the Python Launcher (v2.3 by Jack Jansen) to launch that very
>>> same program, everything works okay. What's wrong with my
>>> installation?
>> This is an intrinsic shortcoming of the IDE.
> Actually, I would think that the "Run with commandline Python" option
> was designed to work around that shortcoming...

Indeed (was it you or me who put it in?:-), but you lose debugging and
introspection, so you're really only able to use the editor portion of
the IDE.

If I understand things correctly Idle has solved this issue, and allows
you to run your program in a different process than the IDE but still
allowing you to debug. At some point we should probably steal this code.