[Pythonmac-SIG] Python IDE 2.3.2 problems

glenn andreas gandreas at gandreas.com
Fri Nov 19 00:47:22 CET 2004

At 12:13 AM +0100 11/19/04, Jack Jansen wrote:
>>>This is an intrinsic shortcoming of the IDE.
>>Actually, I would think that the "Run with commandline Python" option
>>was designed to work around that shortcoming...
>Indeed (was it you or me who put it in?:-), but you lose debugging and
>introspection, so you're really only able to use the editor portion
>of the IDE.
>If I understand things correctly Idle has solved this issue, and allows
>you to run your program in a different process than the IDE but still
>allowing you to debug. At some point we should probably steal this code.

PyOXIDE supports this (debugging & introspection of "external"
processes), using a scheme that looks much like Distributed Objects.
It also doesn't use threads or anything funky (yet), though requires
explicit handling on the external side (there's a debugging stub that
does this when you launch as "remote" under PyOXIDE).

The goal was to be able to add that "nub" to an app that embedded
python (say, a MMRPG that used Python as a scripting language) and
then one can debug from PyOXIDE, though saddly that will require
redoing stuff in PyOXIDE to use threads in strange and fearful ways...

Glenn Andreas                      gandreas at gandreas.com
<http://www.gandreas.com/> oh my!
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to Know