[Pythonmac-SIG] please help: python crashes when I try to import orange lib (OS X)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Nov 24 16:48:17 CET 2004

On Nov 23, 2004, at 1:24 PM, Christoph Pingel wrote:

> can anybody tell me what's going on here (or give me a pointer where
> to start looking):
>
> Nov 22 18:05:03 localhost crashdump: Unable to determine
> CPSProcessSerNum pid: 1230 name: python
> Thread 0 Crashed:
> 0   org.python.python           	0x10094c4c PyErr_NewException + 0x18c
> (errors.c:544)
> 1   orange.so                   	0x020223b8 makeExceptionClass(char*,
> char*, _object*) + 0x94
> 2   orange.so                   	0x021c8c74 initorange + 0x30

CPS, as far as I know, is an Apple SPI used to talk to the
WindowServer.  The traceback looks like this "orange" extension module
you're using is crashing on initialization, and the default signal
handler that deals with crashes via crashdump is trying to find out
what WindowServer connection that process is using, and it doesn't find
one.  This is just a warning message and has no real relevance to your
application's crash.

If your application is supposed to use the GUI, you might want to try
starting the application with the pythonw script, rather than the
python interpreter directly, because pythonw sets up the environment
such that a WindowServer connection will work correctly.

Otherwise, it sounds like "orange" has bugs, and you'll need to whoever
wrote it.