[Pythonmac-SIG] Problems with MacPython PackMan

Jack Jansen Jack.Jansen at cwi.nl
Tue Nov 30 16:36:42 CET 2004

On 28 Nov 2004, at 19:18, David Warde-Farley wrote:

> I fired up Package Manager a short while ago and got some rather
> puzzling behavior. Namely, packages won't install! They will download
> (I see this if check "verbose") but then it just hangs there. I'm at a
> loss as to why this would happen. Any ideas? (I've tried both your
> repository and the undefined.org repo).

This is a new one (at least, I haven't heard it before). I assume
binary packages install correctly, right?

First thing to check is what you've got in /tmp. You should have the
.tar.gz for the package that was downloaded, and an unpacked version of
it. If there's no unpacked version something went wrong during

You could also check whether the command-line version of PackMan
(/System/....../lib/plat-mac/pimp.py) works correctly.

And maybe it's worthwhile to see if you can find out what it's doing
when it's hanging (ps should help here).