[Pythonmac-SIG] compiling pyopengl + numeric

altern enrike at altern.org
Sat Oct 2 15:31:54 CEST 2004

hi

>> Either:
>> A) install an lapack lib: this is the best option if you are doing
>> linear algebra on large matrices
>> B) edit the setup.py to use the provided one. It should be commented
>> well enough to do that
>> C) download Numeric 22, and use its setup.y to figure out what needs
>> to change. You may well be able to simply use it with 23.
>

> oops, sorry, I'm on a lot of mailing lists, and I didn't notice that
> this is the macpython list. On OS-X, you want to:
>
> use PackageManager to get Numeric, preferably from Bob Ippolito's
> repository, which will give you Numeric linked against Apple's lapack.

Ok, now its kind of working but I just realised that there was somthing
else wrong. The funny thing is that if i go to the terminal and start
python, then i can import for example wx (i installed it manually) but
then if I try to import OpenGL or Numeric i get an error. Then i go and
open Python interactive from the python IDE and i am able to import
opengl and numeric with no errors at all.

in the terminal i get
Python 2.3 (#1, Sep 13 2003, 00:49:11)
[GCC 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer, Inc. build 1495)] on darwin

and in the IDE python interactive i get
Python 2.3.3 (#2, Dec 23 2003, 22:56:29)
[GCC 3.1 20020420 (prerelease)]

I actually tried to update manually the latest version of python for
mac. Looks to me like i have two different versions installed and that
the system is not very well informed about it!.

i am not sure what i am supposed to do about this. i remember having had
a similar problem under linux but i dont remember what files i edited to
solve the conflict. Any tips?

thanks!

--
enrike