[Pythonmac-SIG] #! line and simple dialogs [SOLVED]

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Sat Oct 2 20:51:20 CEST 2004

Kevin Altis wrote:

>>I actually meant dependencies for the casual scripter, not the
>>end-user.  I'd love to be able to tell my friends, "Python makes an
>>elegant replacement for AppleScript for your simple scripting tasks
>>and you only need to install 1 package to make it work."  If
>>EasyDialogs was just a little better it would already be true! :-)
>>If/when appscript and/or PyObjC get into the core then the argument
>>would become even simpler and much more convincing.
>
>It is possible that Apple will include the current versions of
>PyObjC, wxPython, and/or appscript with Tiger, but I wouldn't count
>on it and it still won't solve the problem on Jaguar or Panther.
>There isn't a whole lot of difference between installing PyObjC and
>wxPython from a user standpoint, they both are distributed as disk
>images and get installed by double-clicking a package file. Of
>course, you could use the PackageManager as well, but that has other
>problems. AFAIK, appscript is orthogonal to the issue of whether you
>do the GUI via wxPython or PyObjC even if that GUI is a linear
>series of steps and only uses dialogs for input. For scripting other
>applications appscript certainly seems easier to use than PyObjC
>from the examples I've seen and used myself. So, I think you're
>going to want to install two packages, but neither are hard to do
>and it will work on different versions of Mac OS X.

As a tangent to your orthogonal, would it make sense if Apple's
MacPython installation had its site-packages folder at, say,
/Library/Python/site-packages, instead of deep inside the perennial
no-go area that is /System?

Might also fit with something I remember Jack talking about some time
back - maybe moving some of the Mac-specific modules out of the
standard distribution and provided as a separate add-on package,
allowing them to be dealt with as a separate ongoing concern rather
than tied to the development cycle of MacPython.framework.

(Apologies in advance if this is a stupid question: I'm still stuck
on 10.2.8 so haven't had a chance to deal with the vagaries of
Panther MacPython firsthand.)

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/