[Pyobjc-dev] Re: [Pythonmac-SIG] Pyobjc some help please (standalone application with xcode)

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Oct 4 00:11:34 CEST 2004

On Oct 3, 2004, at 5:51 PM, Jordan Krushen wrote:

> On 30-Sep-04, at 6:29 AM, Ronald Oussoren wrote:
>
>> On 30-sep-04, at 9:40, Matteo Rattotti wrote:
>>
>>> But... There is a way to tell xcode that i want a standalone
>>> application, with pyobjc and other lib, so i can share my program to
>>> my little non-programmer friends? ;-)
>>
>> Hmm. The ProjectBuilder templates used to have a feature for that
>> (some special build option). I cannot find it in the Xcode templates.
>
> I believe changing the build style from Development to Deployment is
> supposed to do that for the bridge, not sure about external modules.
> It's surely a good place to start :)

It's basically something that you need to do manually.  I make
references to all of the packages, modules, etc. that I use and make
sure they get copied into the .app.  If I need something 10.2
compatible, it's even more difficult (stripping down the python
framework, picking out the system modules that need to be included,
etc.)  It's quite a pain, and it was my primary motivation (on top of
bundlebuilder's huge flaws) for doing py2app.

You could also try using py2app instead of Xcode, which is altogether a
more robust solution anyway.  Note that either way, building a 10.2
compatible application requires building against a 10.2 compatible
python and modules.  With py2app this is done by just starting it up
with the 10.2 compatible Python.  I haven't tested 10.2 compatibility,
but I know it works in theory because I've tested that py2app
distinguishes between the system's Python 2.3 and my own installation
of Python 2.4 :)