[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: [Distutils] ANN: py2app 0.1

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Mon Oct 4 06:36:34 CEST 2004

On Oct 3, 2004, at 11:51 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 11:16 PM 10/3/04 -0400, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>> py2app is using setuptools too, supporting a minimum Python version
>> of 2.3.0.  It was MUCH MUCH simpler than using distutils directly.
>
> Nice to know.  What parts of setuptools did you end up using?
> "Features", "dependencies", or just the data file stuff?

Well, it's open source, you can look for yourself :)

http://svn.red-bean.com/bob/py2app/trunk/setup.py

I'm using find_packages, the package_data stuff.. maybe other stuff
implicitly?  I didn't read the source or documentation for setuptools,
I just cut+pasted from PEAK's setup.py.  I went to PEAK first because I
knew it dealt with installing multiple top level packages with data
files and such, and I knew these things were terribly difficult with
stock distutils.  "Features" will probably be useful to me in the
future, but it's not something I needed for this.