[Pythonmac-SIG] Trying to make an app

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Oct 6 04:22:02 CEST 2004

On Oct 5, 2004, at 7:09 PM, Charles Hartman wrote:

> I'm using wxPython (2.5.7.2) with the OS 10.3.5 Python (2.3). I want
> to make a standalone that will run on other OSX Macs. (Later I'll want
> to make Windows executables but that's the future.) So far, I haven't
> been able to make one that will run even on another 10.3 machine that
> doesn't have wxPython on it.
>
> I've tried various approaches. I'm working on py2app, but don't
> understand it yet. (No documentation; does anyone know of a
> simple-minded run-through?) My closest approach has been with
> bundlebuilder. I learned to include the wxPython libraries in the
> 'libs=[]' field within the buildapp() call, but NOT to include the
> symbolic links (which keep the resulting app from even being copied
> from a CD onto another machine; a Weird Alias error message). But so
> far, I still get an app whose icon bounces up and down, but won't
> load. I haven't had enough time on a "virgin" machine to get out the
> Console, etc, looking for error messages, which I suppose is my next
> step. Meanwhile, does anyone have a suggestion for what might still be
> missing from my would-be standalone?

bundlebuilder is a dead end, don't bother.

py2app should pretty much just work if you give it your script.  I
don't have wxPython on this machine so I can't tell if anything special
needs to be done or not, but I'm relatively certain it should Just Work
if memory serves correctly.  Look at the examples directory.

> Beyond that, I'm confused about whether a standalone that finally does
> work on 10.3 will also work on 10.2, 10.1.

Definitely not.  Anything you build on 10.3 will only work on >= 10.3
(unless the Python and extensions that you're building with were all
compiled for 10.2.. but that is beyond the scope of any help I'm
willing to give at this point because I have never gone through the
trouble to create such an envionment).