[Pythonmac-SIG] Newbie Mac Question

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Oct 8 23:12:06 CEST 2004

On Oct 8, 2004, at 5:01 PM, Karl Merkley wrote:

> On Oct 8, 2004, at 2:50 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On Oct 8, 2004, at 4:42 PM, Karl Merkley wrote:
>>
>>> I have an application that I am porting to the Mac.  On Linux it
>>> requires that I link against libpython.so.  It  appears that Mac OS
>>> X 10.3 does not include a libpython.dylib.   I _think_ I would like
>>> to stay compatible with the native python on the Mac.  What is the
>>> correct method for getting the shared library?  Assuming that I have
>>> to build it myself, what set of source do I download and build?  Are
>>> there any gotchas that I need to be aware of?
>>
>> Python on the Mac is built as a framework, which is linked to with
>> -framework Python rather than -lpython.  You should be asking
>> distutils how to link against Python.  Take a look at:

>> I believe the keys used for embedding python are LINKFORSHARED and
>> CFLAGSFORSHARED.
> Thanks.  I'll take a look at that.  Like I said "newbie."  I don't
> even know what questions to ask yet!

Well, from experience, I can say that porting software from a language
you're not terribly familiar with to a platform that you don't know
inside and out has quite a steep learning curve! :)  I've been at it
for over three and a half years (doesn't seem like that long, though)
and I still run into things that confuse me every now and again.