[Pythonmac-SIG] charts & graphs

Marcus Mendenhall marcus.h.mendenhall at vanderbilt.edu
Wed Oct 20 14:58:19 CEST 2004

> Hi,
>
> What are the standard modules that work on mac for making charts and
> plotting data, etc. I need something that is easy to use, versitle,
> and WELL DOCUMENTED with examples, tutorials and documentation.
>
> Anyone know a package that fits the bill? Is pil the way to go?
>
> Sorry, i am kind of new to this type of computing and i know mac has
> it's own graphics issues..
>

> -kevin
I use PyX ( http://pyx.sourceforge.net ) and graceplot.  PyX is
generates extremely pretty graphs, with modest effort.  Its strong
point is the underlying postscript generating architecture, and its use
of LaTeX to process text.  You must have LaTeX installed to use it.
This gives it the ability to generate very well-laid-out labels and
special captioning. It has extremely strong capabilities in the
generation of custom axes.  For an example of dynamically-generated PyX
graphs, see
http://arago.fel.vanderbilt.edu/~zlabpro/Environmental.html
and note the date/time axis on the graphs, which is a custom labeling
system based on the extensibility of PyX axes. Note that if you push
the 'update graphs' link, it takes a long time.  This is not PyX taking
the tijme.  The data are being resampled via a fairly slow algorithm
which detects  local extrema before plotting the sparsified set.

I also use graceplot, which is a front end to xmgrace, an X11-based
interactive graphics package along similar lines to gnuplot.  I find
xmgrace a little easier to handle than gnuplot.  It is quite useful if
you want to very quickly pop up a graph, and then hand-adjust the
layout when you get one which is ready for publication.  It has
extensive internal data manipulation capabilities, so you can also do
things like fitting and smoothing of data one the graph is displayed.
It is extremely easy (easier than PyX, e.g.) to get a graph out of
graceplot.  You need to have fink and xmgrace installed, and have X11
running.

Marcus Mendenhall