[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript terminology caching

steve harley garbanzito at mac.com
Thu Oct 21 00:37:44 CEST 2004

on 18 Oct 2004, at 3:21 AM, Jack Jansen wrote:

> On 18 Oct 2004, at 00:47, Eric Nieuwland wrote:
>
>> A small question to all you gurus on this topic.
>>
>> How will the caching system handle updates to an application of which
>> the terminology is cached?
>
> That's one of the problems we're trying to sort out. Has wants to do
> it automatically whereas Bob and myself seem to tend towards a more
> manual solution, whereby the script writer somehow explicitly triggers
> it.

one small consideration to add: some apps update their terminology
without a version change.. the means i have in mind is that some
XTensions to QuarkXPress (4.x, at least) would dynamically extend the
dictionary when the app launched.. the new terminology could only be
obtained when the app was running, not from parsing the AETE in the
resource fork.. i don't  how or whether this situation has changed with
Mac OS X versions of XPress or other apps.. Frontier did a parse of the
static AETE, and so i had to hand add entries to the glue table, but if
the AETE API that appscript uses ensures that dynamic entries are
returned to queries, then i guess this isn't an issue