[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript terminology caching #2

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Oct 22 02:14:31 CEST 2004

On Oct 21, 2004, at 19:33, has wrote:

> Bob Ippolito wrote:
>
>> You should be able to do this with
>> PyObjC via NSWorkspace:
>> http://developer.apple.com/technotes/tn/tn2050.html
>
> Can it be done without PyObjC? It's a great piece of kit, but until it
> becomes part of the standard library I'd feel a little more
> comfortable sticking to standard APIs as it's one less dependency to
> deal with. (Or am I just being too neurotic?)

You **MIGHT** be able to do it with Carbon Events, but you can't be
sure if the Python wrappers for that have all the functionality
required.  Otherwise you either have to buck up and use PyObjC, or
write a C or ObjC extension that does it.  I guarantee the former is a
better option.

You are being too neurotic.  Everyone who develops Python applications
for the Mac either already has PyObjC or should install it immediately.
  If they don't, they're missing out on damn near everything :)