[Pythonmac-SIG] IDEs, debugging, and wxPython

Charles Hartman cohar at conncoll.edu
Fri Oct 22 03:30:58 CEST 2004

I've been writing wxPython-based apps happily enough (especially once
py2app came along!), but I'm doing it in a clumsy way: using one or
another text editor, running with pythonw from the editor or from a
Terminal command line. PythonCard has an editor, so does PyOXIDE, and
there are many others, all well and good.

What I can't find is a GUI-based debugger integrated with an editor.
Call me a wuss, but I don't want to do command-line debugging of GUI
apps when I can help it. All I need is to be able to watch a few
variables, set the occasional breakpoint, and so on. Xcode assumes I
want to write a Cocoa app; PyOXIDE's debugger crashes on me; telling
PythonCard to run the app with a Debug menu does nothing (gets
overriden by my own app's menus?); IDLE wants TKinter which I don't
use; and so on, and so on.

What are people using? What's handy? What obvious thing am I, as usual,
missing?

Charles Hartman