[Pythonmac-SIG] appscript terminology caching #2

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri Oct 22 03:40:46 CEST 2004

Bob wrote:

>>>There's all sorts of issues with starting daemons (like: will the
>>>daemon be system-wide or per-user?
>>
>>It's a user-level process, so I guess that makes it per-user. Out
>>of interest, does [Mac]Python run anything at any other level?
>
>Python runs at whatever level you run it at, and it dies when the
>script is over.  Python is not a daemon (unless your script is).

Was a dumb question.:) Perhaps a slightly less dumb one: can
application scripting be done at any level other than user-level?

>>Question: what are the rules for Python.app? ATS occupies a
>>position equivalent to that of Python.app, so presumably we can
>>apply any rules for the latter to the former.
>
>There is no real Python.app.  Python.app is just a trick that puts
>the interpreter inside of an application bundle so pythonw will work.

Yeah, basically both are tools to facilitate execution of Python
scripts. In Python.app's case, scripts that require a GUI connection;
in ATS's case, scripts that require a call to OSAGetAppTerminology.
How they're implemented isn't really important; it's more about what
they do and why. Does that make sense?

has
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/