[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: ATS is a bad name for Appscript Terminology Server

has hengist.podd at virgin.net
Fri Oct 29 16:20:26 CEST 2004

Jack wrote:

>>>  ATS is already Apple Type Services.
>>
>>Rats. Yeah, would be better to avoid TLA overloading. Open to
>>suggestions. 'STS'? 'ASTS'? 'ATRS'? 'PTS'? 'APTS'?
>
>Why do you want a TLA?

Presumably for convenience when we're discussing it? The full name,
AppscriptTerminologyServer, is too much of a mouthful to use every
time. Doesn't matter what length our acronym is, just as long as it
doesn't collide with one already in use as that's where confusion
arises.

>Python OSA Terminology Server?

Well, it's not specific to Python and I'm always leery of using 'OSA'
in anything as it has two very different usages and it's never clear
which one is meant. (e.g. ATS has nothing to do with the OSA API
apart from it being where the 'GetAppTerminology' system call happens
to reside.) It might also be confused with the Python OSA scripting
component, which is something completely different and not a
prerequisite of application scripting. How about just plain
'ScriptingTerminologyServer'? It's not as self-explanatory as having
'appscript' in the title, but I can't immediately think of anything
'STS' might be confused with; can anyone else?

Ta,

has

p.s. On mention of 'Python OSA', anyone checked out Philip Aker's
work recently? (http://homepage.mac.com/philip_aker/osa/osa.html)
Looks like he's done some good work on OSA-ifying several OSS
languages so far but the proprietary licence definitely impacts on
its usefulness. Dunno about the other languages, but Python has the
PSF and I know they like to give periodic handouts to worthy
projects... don't suppose you think they might take an interest in
offering him a modest amount of wealth, wine and women if he could be
persuaded to open-source everything in return?
--
http://freespace.virgin.net/hamish.sanderson/