[Pythonmac-SIG] readline space problem?

John Hunter jdhunter at ace.bsd.uchicago.edu
Fri Apr 1 16:40:43 CEST 2005

In ipython, which uses readline for tab completion in the shell, on my
powerbook when I do

  >>>cd pyth<TAB>

The completer generates

  >>>cd python _

where the _ is a placeholder for where the cursor ends up.  When
completing on a long path, this is annoying, because I have to
backspace out all those extras spaces.

I brought this up on the ipython list and Fernando Perez and I spent
some time trying to hunt it down.  In the end, he was firmly convinced
that this was a platform specific readline problem.  I get this
behavior in both the X11 xterm and the OS X Terminal.

I'm have readline-2.3-binary and readline-2.3.source listed in my
Python Install Manager.

Someone on the ipython list suggested