[Pythonmac-SIG] can't link Python 2.4.1 against external libxml2 ...

OpenMacNews OpenMacNews at speakeasy.net
Mon Apr 4 05:23:55 CEST 2005

hi robert,

>> *something's* expecting libxml2 to be there ...
>
> I'll bet that it's either Cocoa or Carbon. In that case, you definitely
> *don't* want it to use your own libxml2.

makes possible sense in that there's a reference to 'Foundation', which given
your suspicion, refers to the OSX FoundationClass(es)? I.e., Cocoa/Carbon?

    >>    ld: Undefined symbols:
    >>    _xmlSAXUserParseMemory referenced from Foundation expected to be
    >> defined in
    >>    /usr/lib/libxml2.2.dylib

thought i'd be very hard pressed to prove or disprove ...

> Leave it be.

Which is certainly good advice if that IS the case ... yet I'm still a little
foggy on the whole matter given Bob's earlier comment:

> either Python itself, nor any extension in the standard library, links to
libxml.  What the heck are you talking about?

which, iiuc, would suggest no dependence whatsoever on libxml -- either direct
or indirect via Cocoa/Carbon.

so, again,

> Leave it be.

seems to be good advice.

what concerns me a bit is that 'other' apps i'm building depend on my
*external* libxml, and will -- eventually -- 'touch' some Python, which will
depend 'still' on the native (cocoa/carbon related) libxml ...

Will this 'version incompatibility' come back to bite me in the ass?  i simply
dunno.

short of understanding/resolving the libxml dependence i *am* seeing, I guess
I'll just have to wait and see when i get there =)

thx,

richard