[Pythonmac-SIG] new Python & wxPython

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Tue Apr 5 05:19:19 CEST 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Lee Cullens wrote:

> On Apr 4, 2005, at 10:50 PM, Lee Cullens wrote:

>>> I'd love to see a binary distribution for this.  Building
>>> wxWidgets/wxPython is painful and slow.  I build a lot of stuff, but
>>> wxPython is something I'd rather have someone else deal with..
>>>
>>> Hopefully the Python 2.4.1 distribution I put out is enough of a
>>> catalyst to get their wheels turning :)
>>>
>>  I had the wxPython 2.5.3.1 binary in
>> /Applications/Python-2.3/Extras/wxPythonExtras and when I installed
>> Bob's new 2.4 Python I downloaded the new 2.5.4.1 wxPython binary and
>> installed it in /Applications/Python-2.4/Extras/wxPythonExtras.

The /Applications/MacPython-2.4 folder is in no way special.  If
wxPython works, you're not using the Python 2.4.1 interpreter.  Those
binary distributions were built for Python 2.3 and *will not* work with
Python 2.4, even if they were in the right place.

>> With what little I've done with it yet the setup seems to work.  If
>> I'm working in my home project area, I set the wx.pth to the version
>> I want to be sure (I've only set it to the older version when I was
>> checking out SPE).
>>
> Forgot to mention I installed both the ansi and unicode binaries of
> each (because  didn't know what I needed) and all four play well so
> far.

The Jaguar builds won't be used by anything you have installed.

As for the Panther builds, whichever one you installed last, wins.. but
only for Python 2.3.