[Pythonmac-SIG] Python documentation in PythonIDE--for Lee Cullens

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Tue Apr 5 06:09:37 CEST 2005

On Apr 4, 2005, at 11:46 PM, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> Lee,
>
> If the code to actually look for the Python documentation is already in
> PythonIDE (even as a hack), then it sounds like the only thing that's
> missing is the documentation itself.

That is what I tried to say and I'm glad you understood it.

> Someone prepared an Apple Help Book of the Python2.3 docs that could be
> installed with the old Package Manager. It sounds like no one has done
> this for 2.4.1. Doing this, though, isn't hard. See this URL for info
> on
> ~ packaging a help book:
>
> http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/
> ProvidingUserAssitAppleHelp/user_help_intro/chapter_1_section_1.html
>
> Basically, you need to add some tags to the index page, run Apple's
> help
> indexing tool over the help directory, and put it in the right place in
> the app bundle. I've packaged Apple Help for some of my apps (none for
> Python) and it's a pretty basic process.
>
> I'd take a whack at doing this myself, but I'm not installing 2.4.1 for
> now--stuff I maintain depends on the Apple-provided Python.
>
> Hope this helps.

It sure does!  I was just rummaging around ADC trying to see if I could
figure out how to do it - that and if I can just drop the result in the
IDLE app package (I am new to Mac if you hadn't guessed).

I try not to get too far off on a tangent, but little things like this
are good learning exercises and you have shortened the time it will
take me to get through it.

Many thanks Kevin,
Lee C