[Pythonmac-SIG] RE: What is a good working environment?

Lee Cullens lee_cullens at mac.com
Tue Apr 5 21:32:51 CEST 2005

Thanks for your experienced guidance Bob,

In retrospect, I guess my limited and naive exposure thus far has
yielded up as many "annoyances" in 2.3 as in 2.4, so it was unfair
diminishing the state of 2.4.  Also, the new (to me) considerations
regarding pygame and wxPython are applicable to both versions I'm sure.
  Is there some middle ground approach I might use for Mac OS X only
development and deployment?  The multimedia development I do goes
beyond reasonable expectations with Director and Lingo scripting (and I
have considerable experience there).

One response mentioned how they were using Python and PyQT.   My
response might give a better idea of my mindset:
------------
My goal is to accomplish what I want to with Python and its components
and I'm still naive enough to think I might be able to without undo
hassle :~)

I, of course, am not under any commercial pressure anymore and would
not take on any occasional client project without doing feasibility
testing of applicable functionality first.

In my "working" career I was (among other things) involved in
engineering modeling systems that are I'm sure quite outdated by now.
The point being that such started with assembler and evolved through
Fortran, APL, Pascal and C (first on IBM then HP Unix distributed
systems) - areas I have no desire to get back into.  The other areas
were business applications with COBOL and flash-in-the pants higher
level tools that is even more unappealing anymore.

The upstart is that there are still a lot of different ideas I'd like
to develop (in the sense of keeping my head busy) especially on the new
Mac, but don't want to get off on too many troublesome tangents ;')  I
imagine though, that in holding down the size of executables some of
the Python "components" will involve compile steps.  What ever happened
to my "perfect world" dreams :<))

Thanks yet again Bob,
Lee C