[Pythonmac-SIG] RE: What is a good working environment?

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Wed Apr 6 05:14:06 CEST 2005

On Apr 5, 2005, at 7:53 PM, Lee Cullens wrote:

> On Apr 5, 2005, at 2:13 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:
>

>> On Apr 5, 2005, at 8:20 AM, Lee Cullens wrote:
>>
>>> What is a good working environment?
>>> <snip>
>>
>> pygame + pyOpenGL may very well be the best solution for this.  It's
>> much simpler to understand than wxPython, and it's cross-platform.
>> The downsides are that there is no widget set, it can not integrate
>> with one (in a sane cross-platform manner), and you are limited to
>> one window.  Both of these packages are available for Python 2.4.
>> <snip>
>> I'd recommend pygame first, unless you have some requirements that it
>> can't handle.
>
> I've been going through the listed components in more detail and
> wonder if anyone would venture a brief answer to the following.
>
> Relative to Bob's pygame vs. wxPython considerations and for what is
> intended for the Mac OS X platform only,  how does PyObjC fit into the
> equation (functionally, mixing and difficulty wise)?
>
> The "presentation" category of apps I mentioned earlier would be multi
> windowed with widgets as in navigating through web pages (but locally
> based) and include reinforcing games.  There is also a "gaming" app I
> want to develop that would allow novices to customize the content of
> various types of games and produce standalone high quality executables
> of their customized games.
>
> I do plan on doing detailed approach feasibility tests, but would like
> to narrow down potential candidates before such.  I am learning fast
> (despite my age and because I'm no longer embarrassed by asking dumb
> questions), and many of you veterans will recognize the changing
> "playgrounds" syndrome :~)

PyObjC (plus, possibly, PyOpenGL) can do everything you want to do, and
will probably be easier than wxPython or PyQt (depending on how your
brain works, I guess)... but I think you'll have to write a fair share
of custom views, controls, etc. to implement this sort of thing.  I
would highly recommend doing some other things with PyObjC first, and
playing around with Objective-C a little bit on its own (so you can
more easily read Apple's documentation) before trying to do this.

In other words, it takes some experience before you learn how to
properly design an application using any framework, so plan on doing a
couple simpler throwaway projects with whatever you choose before doing
something so large.  If you don't, you'll probably do it all wrong, and
end up with a real mess on your hands.