[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: AquaMacs distribution of Emacs

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Thu Apr 7 22:53:27 CEST 2005

On 07.04.2005, at 18:35, Kevin Walzer wrote:

> In case anyone is interested, David Reitter and I are working on  a
> distribution of Carbon Emacs that includes a lot of Aqua-specific
> customizations (keyboard shortcuts, use of native file dialogs, etc.)
> make Emacs more HIG-compliant.
>
> http://www.wordtech-software.com/aquamacs.html

This looked promising, so I tested it - for about five minutes. This
beast is less ergonomic than standard Emacs and less ergonomic than any
standard Mac text editor - who wants that? Unless of course I have
overlooked something essential...

1) No more than one buffer per window. I tend to have about twenty
buffers in an Emacs session. Twenty windows? Not on my iBook! And..
having two files on top of each other in one window is often very
useful. It's one of the reasons why I still use Emacs.

2) File completion with the pop-up dialog is a lot worse than no file
completion at all. The idea of Emacs-style (and readline-style) file
completion is that one can always type one more letter to reduce the
number of choices. No more with that silly dialog box.

3) Python-mode seems to work only partially. In particular, py-shell
doesn't work. No more Python debugging in Emacs...

Oh well... it's in the trashcan, life goes on as usual :-)

Konrad.