[Pythonmac-SIG] ANN: MacEnthon 0.1

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 11 06:24:37 CEST 2005

MacEnthon is the OS X counterpart to the popular "Enthought Edition" of
Python: a convenient bundling of a number of packages geared for the
scientific community. Right now, it targets the Apple-installed Python
2.3.0. Once I am satisfied with this release, I will consider cutting a
release for Python 2.4.1. This is still just a test release. Please do
not tell newbies to go install it, yet.

New in this release:

  - some updates to packages from CVS/SVN
  - all documentation is now under /Developer/Python
  - enthonutil.py, a module that allows you to easily make your own
"sumo" distribution; see /Developer/Python/MacEnthon/enthonutil-example.py

For a full list of packages, please see the ReadMe:

   http://download.enthought.com/MacEnthon/ReadMe.html

To download:

   http://download.enthought.com/MacEnthon/MacEnthon-0.1.dmg

Included is a CLI uninstaller, enthonbegone.py . It may leave a few
empty directories some .pyc's hanging about, but otherwise it works
fairly well. See its help for more information.

When you encounter problems, packaging/build bugs, or missing
documentation, please log it on the Enthon issue tracker and assign the
issue to "rkern":

   https://www.enthought.com/roundup/enthon/

I haven't gotten much feedback, so I can only assume that it's perfect.
Barring anything particularly idiotic that I've done, I will probably
only make one more "final" MacEnthon for Python 2.3.0. When I recover
from that, I'll start thinking about 2.4.1.

--
Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter