[Pythonmac-SIG] Re: ANN: MacEnthon 0.1

Robert Kern rkern at ucsd.edu
Mon Apr 11 23:23:28 CEST 2005

[Someday, I'll figure out how to work a mail program. Sorry for the
repeats, Russell.]

Russell E. Owen wrote:

 > In article <4259FC05.9070008 at ucsd.edu>, Robert Kern <rkern at ucsd.edu>
wrote:

 >> MacEnthon is the OS X counterpart to the popular "Enthought Edition"
 >> of Python: a convenient bundling of a number of packages geared for
 >> the scientific community. Right now, it targets the Apple-installed
 >> Python 2.3.0. Once I am satisfied with this release, I will consider
 >> cutting a release for Python 2.4.1. This is still just a test
 >> release. Please do not tell newbies to go install it, yet.
 >
 > This looks amazing. Thank you very much.
 >
 > I have a lot of this stuff installed already and am wondering if I
 > should risk it now or not, but I"ll certainly be using it in the
 > future.

I'm pretty sure that installing MacEnthon over top won't do much harm,
but some of the stragglers might cause some weird but rare bugs
(especially if there's code that does "try: import _something_old;
except ImportError: etc.").

It would be best if you moved the stuff already installed out of the way
first.

If they were installed from bdist_mpkg installers, you can use
enthonbegone.py to remove them.

   $ pwd
   /Volumes/MacEnthon-0.1/Uninstaller
   $ ./enthonbegone.py -s /Library/Receipts/Numeric-platlib-23.7.pkg
   Starting MacEnthon Uninstaller
   Directories to delete:
     /Library/Python/2.3/Numeric
   Directories that will not be deleted:
     /Library/Python/2.3
   $ sudo ./enthonbegone.py --logfile uninstall.log \
     /Library/Receipts/Numeric-platlib-23.7.pkg

Robert Kern
rkern at ucsd.edu

   -- Richard Harter