[Pythonmac-SIG] Simple Statusitem example

eichin at metacarta.com eichin at metacarta.com
Wed Apr 13 19:52:57 CEST 2005

> Are there any examples people would like to see?  What would actually
> be *useful* to show in the status bar?  ITunes and clocks have been

Assuming I'm not confused and the "status bar" is the same as the
"right side of the menu bar", http://menu.jeweledplatypus.org/ has a
long list of examples that might be useful ideas.  One that came to
mind as "easy" is a pop- or imap-mailbox "how much new mail" checker -
you could just use the native imaplib to do the work, *that* part
would only be a dozen lines of code, but it would need "periodic
update", "allow user configuration", and ideally "store password in
keychain", all of which are mac-specific in interesting ways.

A "weather bug" is another one; the general "check this web page for
changes" (based on an xpath string or even a regexp scan) would be
a useful base, you could build a "current nagios status
(red/yellow/green)" scraper out of that...  even a stock-watcher,
though it's about 5 years too late for that :-)