[Pythonmac-SIG] Upgrading to 2.4.1

Bob Ippolito bob at redivi.com
Fri Apr 22 10:52:26 CEST 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 4:38 AM, Yair Benita wrote:

> Upgrading to a new version of python is always tricky as I have many
> many
> modules that may not work properly after upgrading (biopython, etc.).

None of them will work.  They will all have to be re-installed for the
new version of Python.

> If I install the new python 2.4.1 from the installer package provided,
> will
> it co-exist with my python 2.3.3 or will it replace it?

co-exist, unless you broke it somehow (i.e. using PYTHONPATH, etc.).

> If it co-exist how do I control which one is used when simply typing
> /usr/bin/python at the command line?

NEVER EVER change anything in /usr (except /usr/local) or /System.  DO
NOT EVER DO THAT.  BAD.

What you probably want to change is the PATH environment variable.
Search the archives.