[Pythonmac-SIG] converting file paths between HFS and POSIX formats

Larry Meyn Larry.A.Meyn at nasa.gov
Sat Apr 23 08:53:14 CEST 2005

On Apr 22, 2005, at 7:00 PM, Bob Ippolito wrote:

> On Apr 22, 2005, at 9:39 PM, Larry Meyn wrote:
>
>> On Apr 22, 2005, at 9:08 AM, has wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not sure how useful HFS path conversion options will really be;
>>> it seemed an idea to put it in for completeness' sake, but perhaps
>>> it's just overkill?
>>
>> There are still some scriptable applications that only deal with HFS
>> paths, so I would vote for including conversion options if it's no
>> too much trouble.  However, the need will decrease with time.
>> (Although I think KaleidaGraph may never get upgraded scripting
>> abilities.)
>
> Does it really take HFS paths as strings, and not FSSpec?  Even if it
> did, wouldn't a FSSpec be coerced to a HFS path string along the way?

KaleidaGraph has it's own scripting language, so for anything beyond
open and close commands, one passes a KaleidaGraph script as a string.
Hence the need for HFS path strings.  I've got some code, based on what
Jack suggested, that does what I need.  Offhand, I can't think of any
other applications with this requirement, so it may not be worth Has'
time to support HFS path strings in his project if this is such a rare
need.

Larry