[Pythonmac-SIG] Building packages

konrad.hinsen at laposte.net konrad.hinsen at laposte.net
Tue Apr 26 11:09:46 CEST 2005

I have both Apple's Python 2.3 and MacPython 2.4.1 installed on my
machine, both with some add-on packages from pythonmac.org. I had
noticed when installing them that the packages for Python 2.3 and
Python 2.4 have identical names, meaning that the second one to be
installed is treated as an "upgrade" by the installer. However, that
seemed merely a cosmetical nuisance: both versions are installed, but
only the last one installed can be traced in /Library/Receipts.

However, with py2app the conflict seems more serious: both have
/usr/local/bin/bdist_mpkg, using different Python versions. It seems
thus that I can build packages for only one Python installation at a
time, having to reinstall py2app to build packages for the other one. I
am rather sure that sooner or later I will make a mistake somewhere.

One workaround would be to rename bdist_mpkg and then install the other
one, but that would work only if the executable script is the only
conflicting file. I don't see any easy way to verify this, I would have
to go through the file lists of both packages.

Does anyone have a better solution?

Konrad (having fond memories of RPM at the moment)